Sunday, December 23, 2012

Almost Christmas! From December 17, 2012

Feliz Navidad!!! Almost :) And Happy Hannukah!!! I definitely am missing the holiday food of the states...no Potato Latkes this year...or italian cookies for now...haha but that is ok because I am in Peru!!! Haha and I love it SO MUCH! And I do get to eat turkey too :) Sorry for last week with no email. The internet decided to not be very nice and I ended up not having any time to write. However, I have a lot that has happened in the last two weeks!
First things first (knocking on wood) my sicknesses are gone!! :D Praying for health and getting a blessing of health, mixed with faith and working hard really does bring miracles. I finally had the chance to eat something really abnormal last week! Cow heart! Anticucho! And it was suuuuuuper good! Haha. First odd food of the mission! We also had the chance last monday to go to a museum of torture in the Centro de Lima. I didnt understand everything that the tour guide said...haha but basically it was a museum of the history of the Government in Lima way back in the day and how they got information they wanted, or how they tortured their enemies. It was cool to see but horrible to learn about too! However, very interesting to learn a bit of Lima history. :)
Last week, we had the baptism of Percy Cuadros. He is wonderful. He is 34 years old and just completely changed his life to follow Jesus Christ and grow closer to our Heavenly Father. He has been through a lot in his life and seeing him completely 180* and being able to help him conquer his doubts, answer his questions and help him strengthen his faith is an indescribable feeling. The spirit was so strong at his baptism you couldnt deny it. After he was baptized, he bore one of the most powerful testmonies I have ever heard. What a blessing it is to have been a part of his life and see the change in him. He now has the knowledge that he has purpose in this life and that he is a beloved son of God. Oh goodness this work is just too good :)
We have another investigator who is set to be baptized this 29th of December! If we were allowed to have favorites...he would be mine. Haha. Everybody knows how much I love elderly people, so you can just imagine how much I love Javier. He is 91 years old!! :D I just love him SO much! We found him when we were street contacting and I had the impression to talk to him. His wife passed away just a year ago after 55 years of marriage. He also had three sons pass away in his life and has a daughter who wants nothing to do with him. However, despite the trails that he has been put through, his faith in Heavenly Father is unwavering. Having the chance to meet with him several times throughout these weeks and share with him the plan of Salvation-the fact that we can live with our families after this life has been one of the most rewarding experiences ever. He is so humble, so receptive, and so full of faith that he is an example to me and I just love him! Also...he has the best sense of humor ever!
Good stuff :)
Anyways, I love it here. I LOVE being a missionary. I love dedicating my time to the Lord and I know that this work is true. Heavenly Father knows us. He loves us. Through his Son Jesus Christ, we can live with Him again.
Love you all!
Con mucho amor siempre!!
Hermana Elisheva Ali :)





No comments:

Post a Comment