Sunday, January 13, 2013

5 months already!!! January 7, 2013


Hola !!!
I cant believe I have already been on my mission for 5 months!!! Time is flying by! Ah! I hope that you all had a wonderful New Years!!! Anything terribly exciting happen in NYC with the big ball drop? I also hope that you set goals that are realistic, attainable, and that will help you achieve important things that will help you grow and change :) As for Peru, New Years is basically the same activities as Christmas. The custom is to stay up until all hours of the night, eat a ton of food and have fiestas until the wee hours of the morning. Also, Peru REALLY loves fireworks. Hahaha. New Years eve, and the night following as well, the sky was filled with light the entire night and the sound was insane! However, I was able to sleep nice and peacefully :)

Haha. Ok So I have some exciting news!! My companion Hermana Sanchez and I are getting a third companion! We dont know anything about her yet, not even her name or where she is from, but we are headed to the mission office tomorrow to pick her up! She is brand new so Hermana Sanchez will be training both her and I all in one! Im almost done though, so thats a bit less stress on her :)

Ok so I received three packages last week and had a mini Christmas!! ( as you can see from the pictures) Thank you SO MUCH Mom, Alison and Alyssa!! :) All of the gifts are being thoroughly enjoyed, both my my companion and I :D Thank you thank you thank you!!

Ok, so I have failed to mention a couple of funny things that are custom in Peru. First of all, there are dogs everywhere!!! Haha its great. When they are friendly :) Also, I love it. In Latin culture, there is no such thing as being fat and people simply refer to overweight people as ¨Gorditos¨. That being said, we have a dog that we live with--Dana who is a big ol white dog who is rather gordita. SHe is the best :) However, her and I, when we are together have developed the term ¨Gringitas gorditas¨ basically signifying chubby white people. hahahahaha. I love it!

This past week has been great!! We have found a lot of people who are interested in learning about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and who really are looking to change their lives for the better. We have been working with members of the church a lot and teaching their friends and family and it is the best! We are meeting new people, and getting to know the members of our ward even better!

Spanish is coming along great!! I can understand just about everything that is said! Talking as well is getting a lot better. I am able to communicate (almost all the time) what I want to, and when I dont have the words, the spirit takes over and speaks to the hearts of those who are listening and they always end up understanding! The Holy Ghost really is so powerful in the way that we are able to receive answers to prayers from our Father in Heaven and the way we are able to recognize truth. The peaceful feelings, and the joy and happiness that we feel when we do something good, when we recognize something is true, and when something is from Heavenly Father is indescribable and so wonderful!

Heavenly Father has blessed us with the ability to recognize the Holy Ghost as a way to answer prayers and I know that it is real. I challenge you all to pay attention to the feelings that come after you pray...they are from the Holy Ghost :)

I love you all and hope your week is wonderful!

Con mucho amor siempre,

Hermana Ali :)

No comments:

Post a Comment